Hi, I’m Shanalei.
Simply put, I’m a reformed junk food junkie.
I was born in Honolulu, Hawaii where we are known for our love of pork and big meals. I later grew up in South Louisiana which is also known for its love of pork and big meals, but it is also consistently ranked in the top of the list for being one of the fattest states in America. Like most families, our bad food choices and busy lives eventually resulted in a host of health problems.
A series of unfortunate events like my husband having cancer and me being diagnosed with pre-diabetes caused us to have to rethink what we eat. But making the switch to clean, real foods was HARD in the beginning! Cooking every meal and not being able to eat the foods that I loved was not only overwhelming but down right frustrating. (You feel me?)
With Real Food Reality, I’ll share what I’ve learned over the years to….beat my junk food addiction…reverse pre-diabetes…lose 40 stubborn pounds…successfully make all meals from scratch…Frustration-FREE!
Food has changed my family’s lives for the better and I would like to help you with that journey, as well. Small steps can make a big impact.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
So what can you expect to find on RFR?
- Simple tips for you to more easily transition into a clean, real food lifestyle
- Honest Reviews – I’ll let you know what I think about food products and break down their ingredients
- Simple Recipes – I strive for quick and easy recipes with occasional influences from my Southern and Hawaiian backgrounds
- Products that we use, love and/or created just for you and your journey
- And possibly some random lagniappe (pronounced: “lan-yap,” meaning: a little something extra)
What you won’t find here…
- Lame dieting tips…Let’s face it. No one can stick to a diet of eating plain celery and carrot sticks–and who wants to, really? We’ve tried countless diets like South Beach, Weight Watchers, and some random Blueprint Diet to name a few along with numerous failed attempts at becoming fit using Bowflex , P90X and T25. Nothing worked until we learned that eating good fats and making small changes to our lives could be the answer to easily drop the pounds and feeling great. I’ll share our real world, real life tips with you.
- Low-fat solutions…As it turns out, low-fat diets are not healthy for our brain or our bodies. We humans were meant to eat healthy fats: Grass-fed butter, coconut oil, avocados, etc. You’ll be amazed at how quickly these fats will stop your carb and sugar cravings and keep you satisfied. It’s crazy to look back and realize that our lives were completely changed with a stick of grass-fed butter.
But enough about me, y’all tell me more about you! Let’s ‘talk story‘ about how you ended up here and what you want to accomplish. Drop me a note on my Contact Me page or sign up to get emails filled with motivation and insider tips and tricks that helped me and my family to make the transition to a real food lifestyle easier.
We are in the infancy of our health and wellness and would love to share it with you and to learn from your experiences, as well. Let’s live long and prosper together!
Until then, keep it REAL!
Motivated to learn more? START HERE