Throughout my family’s health journey (recovering from cancer and reversing pre-diabetes to name a few), I’ve identified a few hacks that can make a lasting improvement in regaining and maintaining a more quality lifestyle.
Of those tips, I’ll share the golden nuggets that are simple and can be easily implemented without your family knowing that you are secretly trying to increase their health. Go you! Everyone can implement all of these hacks and simple tips to improve your health today!
Don’t have time to read this now? Pin It For Later
Disclaimer: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. See full Affiliate Disclosure for more details.
Simple Tips To Improve Your Health: Consume High-Quality Proteins
- Due to the high demand of providing large amounts of protein for low costs, the quality of our meat supply has been drastically downgraded. In turn, low-quality meat can cause health concerns as noted in my article, Grass Fed vs. Grain Fed Beef – Is Your Beef Making You Sick? about today’s beef production.
- Select grass-fed beef, wild-caught fish, pasture-raised pork, chicken and eggs. If you want a convenient delivery service, consider the selection of quality proteins at Thrive Market.
- Simply by swapping to a more quality protein source, my friend noticed that her joints hurt less which eventually helped her to reduce her dependence on acetaminophen. Quality counts and it’s simple to do!
Simple Tips To Improve Your Health: Select Healthy Fats
- Immediately discard your polyunsaturated and trans fat oils. The label may say “hydrogenated.” Examples are canola oil, soy oil, or vegetable oil.
- Instead, use quality unrefined, cold-pressed oils such as olive oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil along with other great fats such as grass-fed butter and ghee.
- Depending on how high you heat the oil can determine the best oil for the job.
- For high heat cooking, oils such as coconut oil, avocado oil, grass-fed beef tallow, or pastured pork lard can withstand the heat.
- For lower heat or no heat meals, select olive oil, sesame oil, and flax oil.
Simple Tips To Improve Your Health: Eat Organic
- Another one of my simple tips to improve your health results in the same (or better) taste but without the harmful toxins and toxin build-up in your body. By choosing organic the food is non-GMO and has not been treated with pesticides, herbicides, growth hormones, or antibiotics.
- Consult the Environmental Working Group’s Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen lists for the best selections of produce when organic versions are not available.
Simple Tips To Improve Your Health: Switch to Natural, Pure Salt
- Iodized table salt that you may have in your cupboard or see at the local restaurant is not a natural form of salt. Instead, it is a manufactured sodium product with added iodide and anti-caking chemicals.
- Select more natural sources of salt, such as Himalayan or Celtic Sea Salt to season your food.
Simple Tips To Improve Your Health: Replace Dry Seasonings Regularly
- Not only do seasonings tend to lose flavor over time, by shaking them over a steaming pot can increase the potential for fungal growth.
- Instead, pour the seasoning into your hand before adding it to the pot of food and be sure to replace them often.
Don’t have time to read through the entire article? Pin It For Later
Simple Tips To Improve Your Health: Sneak in Powerhouse Foods
- The easiest way to increase the health factor of any meal is to sneak herbs/spices/veggies into meals with lots of flavors.
- Quick Facts: Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory, a strong antioxidant and holds many other incredible benefits.
- Add a small amount to tomato-based dishes such as chili and in your oven-baked fry mixture. You can also add a small amount to other foods without altering the flavor much but the deep golden color may give it away.
- Quick Facts: Ginger is a powerful anti-inflammatory, helps to regulate blood sugar, has anti-bacterial properties and a vast array of other wonderful qualities.
- Add to baked goods, smoothies, and my favorite: chicken cooked in coconut aminos (aka chicken adobo).
- Quick Facts: Flax seeds are a great source of dietary fiber, minerals (manganese, thiamine, and magnesium), are high in Omega-3 Fatty Acids and the list goes on.
- Flax seeds are easily disguisable. You can add them to virtually any food that where an added crunch or nutty flavor is appreciated. Sprinkle freshly ground flax seeds in sauces, baked goods (i.e. desserts, pancakes), oatmeal, oven-baked fry mix, and smoothies.
- Incorporate mild tasting vegetables like cauliflower and squash easily by blending them to hide them in your meals. Back when my kids ate mac-n-cheese, I would add a small amount of pureed cauliflower into the cheese sauce without them knowing. Pureeing vegetables into tomato-based dishes are also a great way to boost the nutritional flavor without skeptics being aware.
Simple Tips To Improve Your Health: Shop Local Farms and Farmer’s Markets
- This is a fun, easy and simple tip to improve your health. Not only is helping out the local community a neighborly thing to do, eating locally-grown produce retains more nutrients. Produce found at your local grocer could have been shipped thousands of miles. Then, they tend to sit in a warehouse for days to weeks before arriving.
- The first time I brought my kids to the local farmer’s market they enjoyed seeing all of the fresh produce, talking with the farmers and even trying samples of foods that they wouldn’t have tried at home. It was a great experience!
- The following websites are from organizations who are dedicated to sustainable farming. Use these sites when trying to locate local meat and produce:
- eatWild: #1 clearinghouse for information about pasture-based farming and features a state-by-state directory of local farmers who sell directly to consumers.
- Local Harvest: This website lists over 30,000 family farms and farmers markets, along with restaurants and grocery stores that feature local food.
- Eat Well Guide: The Eat Well Guide® is a curated directory of over 25,000 hand-picked restaurants, farms, markets and other sources of local, sustainable food throughout the US.
Simple Tips To Improve Your Health: Rethink Your Water Source
- If you aren’t consciously thinking about the type of water that you drink, the Environmental Working Group’s article, State of American Drinking Water may change your mind. They collected data from state agencies and the EPA for drinking water tests conducted from 2010 to 2015 by 48,712 water utilities in 50 states. The contaminants detected included those that could increase the risk of cancer, damage the brain and nervous system, cause developmental harm to children, cause fertility problem and hormonal disruption.
- Because of the poor state of our nation’s tap water, you may want to consider cleaner sources of water, such as a purchasing a quality filtration system or purchasing natural spring water for both drinking and cooking.
Simple Tips To Improve Your Health: Limit Microwave Usage and Avoid Reheating Plastic
- Since microwave ovens tend to create high amounts of electromagnetic fields which may have varying degrees of effects on the body, it may be wise to opt for less invasive cooking methods such as an oven, toaster oven or stove.
- If you aren’t doing this simple tips to improve health, please start today…Stop reheating your food in plastic containers. When reheating plastic, harmful chemicals in plastic can leach into your food. If you do choose to use the microwave, put the food in glass or stoneware containers.
Simple Tips To Improve Your Health: Ditch Teflon
- Teflon is the trademarked name for the chemical Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), a non-stick coating commonly found on frying pans. This coating has been proven to release toxic fumes at high temperatures.
- Alternatively, use stainless steel, stone/ceramic, and cast iron cookware.
There you have it. Simple and easy healthy meal hacks that your family even won’t notice. #NoComplaints! Let me know what you think about these simple solutions to boost your health and share other ideas with me. Every step we take, no matter how small, gets us one step closer to our goal.
Want to keep this list handy? Pin It For Later
You can download a FREE copy of the 10 Healthy Meal Hacks Guide from my FREE Resource Library.
For more inspiration on your real meal journey, check out these posts!